Friday, November 9, 2012

Crafty Gal's Latest Endeavor

If you don't read Cauli's blog, well, you should. Cauli Le Chat is our roving feline reporter here at MPL. She has the inside scoop on all behind the scenes stuff here at the library. She even gives the staff nicknames--how fun is that?

Well, I'm going to out myself: Cauli has nicknamed me "Crafty Gal" because I'm into creating fun stuff. Today is no exception, because I made a fabulous wind chime out of an old xylophone. It's pretty rad.



The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

One of my patrons donated a cute kid xylophone. I really wanted to keep it for play...however the screws holding the bars on stuck out so far that I was afraid it would become more of a bludgeoning tool than an instrument. I found the original idea on www.instructables.com, via Pinterest, but it looks like the link is broken. Boo.

First I took off the bars using the nail remover side of a hammer. Then I gathered my materials, which consisted of me raiding the craft closets for metallic string to hang the bars, an embroidery hoop, yarn to cover the hoop, and some of that plastic string stuff to hang it.


This xylophone will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Next, I attached the bars to the hoop with the metallic string, and trimmed the ends. I wrapped yarn around the hoop to secure the bars a bit better, but mostly to make it look a bit nicer.


Looks like a hot mess, Crafty Gal.

After I wrapped the yarn, which seemed like it took forever, I tied the plastic string into a big knot to make the mobile level.

Crafty Gal and the Technicolor Wind Chime
You're welcome, Minnie.

It was difficult finding a place to hang it with a high-ceiling room, but I think I did a fairly good job. Minnie looks happy anyway.

I like making cool stuff out of items that are laying around. What have you made lately?

Monday: Thanksgiving Story Times: Part Two!

1 comment:

  1. Crafty Gal,

    Two words about your wind chimes: Totally Brilliant. Just saying.

    Thanks for the blog promo, too.

    Cauli Le Chat

    ReplyDelete