Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Little Red Hen Eats a Loaf of Bread...

...then takes a nap!

This week in story time, I subjected the kids to The Little Red Hen illustrated by J.P. Miller, aka The Little Red Hen Golden Book. I say "subjected" because I know that the more popular book with this story is The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza by Philemon Sturges, however it is a bit wordy for the kids in my story time.

Anyway, I think most of us know the classic TLRH story: She finds a grain of wheat, asks for some help to cultivate it, gets no help, eats the bread made from said wheat herself, then promptly takes a nap. Because that's what you do when you eat an entire loaf of bread by yourself. (Yum.)

I think the message may have gone over the heads of some of my kiddos. However, not to brag, they enjoyed the story time simply because I do a really great chicken voice. I should just do stories with a chicken protagonist from now on. You can leave a comment with your favorite chicken story, if you please.


Yes, she did.

I gave the 2 year olds a coloring sheet. After the seriously in-depth Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly craft we did last week, I figured it was okay to slack on the craftivity this week. The older kids made a cute chicken craft that I found via Pinterest on a website that is in Russian. I found the 'print' button, so at least I could print it out. Once the chicken is colored, you cut it out, fold, and it will stand up. Most of the kids thought it was cute, others were indifferent. It has been the most repinned pin on my Pinterest page though, so I assume it's a keeper!


Cute!

After our craft, we played the Farmer in the Dell game. Slowly but surely they're understanding the concept. I played the game with a kindergarten group today and they LOVED it. I knew it wasn't just me.

Next stop: K6 Roundup!

1 comment:

  1. Cute! You could also use a paper plate for the body.

    ReplyDelete