Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Creative Kids: Valentine's Edition

Yesterday I did Valentine's crafts with 25 elementary school kids. It was more fun than it sounds! I got them focused by reading Rotten Ralph's Rotten Romance by Jack Gantos. Rotten Ralph is a disgusting sort of cat, who reminds me of Oscar the Grouch, but in a nastier, trashier, not-so-funny sort of way. I think the kids liked the novelty of the book, but I don't think I will read it again.

Ant filled chocolate, anyone?
I then asked the kiddos to use this "i love..." coloring sheet from Vale Design to make a drawing of what they love about the library. When they finished, I collected them to make an awesome display at the front desk for all to see!
LOVE the LIBRARY!
AWW gee thanks!
Their next assignment: go crazy with craft supplies to make Valentine's cards. Wahoo! I placed supplies at the work tables and let them go to town.

I even received a few!
It was strange to me that a few of the kids said, "Miss Michelle, I messed up. I need another paper." I showed them how to 'salvage' what they had done, and they went on to create some good stuff. I think they just needed a gentle prodding to 'think outside the card' and see that they didn't "mess up." I felt great after they looked at their pieces differently and worked with what they had.

I love that you make lists like I do!

We wrapped up the program with Ten Things I Love About You by Daniel Kirk. I read this for a class of kindergarteners last week and they thought it was funny. The elementary school kids liked it too. Some of their laughs probably had to do with my delivery...as I portray Rabbit as kind of a bunny-on-uppers sort of character. The book is cute, and not really even a Valentine's book...so I'll read it again later in the year, I'm sure.

I hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day! Eat some chocolate for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment